What Are acid-forming foods and why are they bad?
The pH scale measures acidity: pH 0 is a highly acidic, pH 14 is a strong alkaline, whilst pH 7 is neutral. To operate effectively and remain disease free, the optimum pH of human blood is 7.4 (slightly alkaline).The food we eat changes the acidity of our blood. Once in the body food can be either acid-forming or alkaline-forming. Note that acidic foods are not necessarily acid-forming in the blood, for example, lemons are very acidic (pH 2-3), yet have an alkalizing effect in the blood.
When we eat acid-forming foods, they cause our blood to become acidic and vice-versa.What causes an acidic environment in the body?
Eating too many acid-forming foods, build up of toxins, stress, lack of exercise all contribute to acidic environment in the body.Why are acid-forming foods bad for us?
The body works to neutralize the acidic state caused by acid-forming foods by using alkaline minerals, this is known as pH buffering.
If the diet does not contain enough alkalizing minerals, acid builds up. An acidic environment in the body causes a myriad of serious, and in extreme cases, life threatening health problems:
- Tumor cells, many bacteria and virus’s thrive in an acidic environment.
- One of the ways the body neutralizes or “buffers” acid-forming foods is by taking calcium and magnesium from your bones, teeth and muscle, which can eventually lead to osteoporosis.
- Poor absorption. An acidic environment decreases the body’s ability to absorb vitamins and minerals.
- Energy production in our cells is less reduced in an acidic environment causing fatigue.
- An acidic environment decreases the body’s ability to repair damaged cells.
- Detoxification is less efficient in an acidic body results in a build up of toxins.
- Acidic blood is thicker and slower moving, so less effective at taking nutrients and oxygen to cells, and removing toxins. Thick blood “hosts” a myriad of harmful organisms (bacteria, virus, parasites and yeast). Over time, it begins to clog up the detox organs.
Here are some common acid-forming foods:
dairy products, carbonated drinks, medication, sugary products, table salt, refined flour, red meat, refined vegetable oils, deep-fried foods, artificial food additives.
The problems with Pasteurization and UHT
Pasteurization is a process invented in 1864 where food is heated to a high temperature to kill microbes and allow it to keep for longer without going off. Similarly ultra-high temperature (UHT) heats food to an even higher temperature (160°) but for a shorter period of time.
However, both pasteurization and UHT of dairy products denatures proteins, destroys enzymes and beneficial bacteria, reduces vitamin content, destroys vitamins B6 and B12 and promotes pathogens so the milk or food has lost its beneficial properties and cannot be assimilated by the body.Why are pasteurized dairy products bad for us?
- If you are going to cow’s milk for calcium, you are mistaken. Cow’s milk is not a good source of this calcium. Milk (and dairy products) are acid-forming in our body. The body tries to balance the pH by drawing more calcium (alkaline) from our bones, which eventually leads to osteoporosis.
- During pasteurization dairy proteins are denatured and cannot be assimilated by the body. Consumption weakens the immune system, causing allergies and many other problems, like asthma, nasal congestion, skin rash, chest infections, higher blood cholesterol, increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Crib or cot death has even been attributed to cow’s milk allergy.
- When you consume cow’s milk, it causes excessive mucus to be formed in the lungs, sinus and intestine, which hardens to form a coating on the inner wall of the intestines, leading to poor absorption of nutrients, constipation and endless potential health issues.
Imagine the havoc cow’s milk can do to an infant. No wonder asthma and bronchitis are so rampant in our young children!
Seeds, nuts and crunchy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, carrots and cauliflower are all great sources of calcium.
God has designed mothers to feed babies with breast milk. But in these modern days, mothers are too busy that we have resorted to cow’s milk, bringing up a generation of sickly children who have weak immune systems. If breast milk is not available, use goat’s milk, rice milk or almond milk.https://juicing-for-health.com/acid-forming-foods