Many families are switching to gluten free and reducing sugar. Concerns about glyphosate in the wheat, blood sugar and gut issues or a diagnosis of celiac doesn't mean you miss out on the excitement of decorating gingerbread men cookies. This recipe by All Day I Dream About Food has taken the yuletide classic and made it gltuen free, low-carb and sugar-free. A classic made healthy so no one has to miss the Christmas fun.
Tender Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe
Classic Gingerbread Men cookies made low carb and gluten-free. Perfect for decorating with your kids and giving as a healthy holiday gift.
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or butter) melted
- 2 tbsp Yacon syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 lb powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 ½ tbsp egg white powder
- 1 ½ tsp arrowroot starch OR 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water more if needed to thin out
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 275F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, coconut flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and cloves.
- Stir in eggs, coconut oil, molasses and vanilla extract until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and turn out first half onto a large piece of parchment paper. Top with another piece of parchment and roll out out about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes and gently loosen and lift with an offset spatula. Place onto prepared baking sheets.
- Gather up scraps and reroll until too little is left to roll out. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 5 minutes on pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the royal icing, in a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sweetener, meringue powder and arrowroot starch or xanthan gum.
- Add water and stir until smooth. Add more water 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pipe icing onto cooled cookies and let set 30 minutes or longer.
- *For crisper cookies, bake at 225F for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. They will crisp up as they cool
Makes about 50 cookies when cookie cutters are about 3 inches tall.
BE SURE TO VISIT ALLDAYIDREAMABOUTFOOD.COM for other classics made healthy.