Fire Cider Remedy Immune Boosting Tonic
Fire Cider is a popular herbal folk remedy. The tasty combination of vinegar infused with herbs is an especially pleasant and easy way to boost natural health processes, stimulate digestion, and get you nice and warmed up on cold days.
Because this is a folk preparation, the ingredients can change from year to year depending on when you make it and what’s growing around you. The standard base ingredients are apple cider vinegar, garlic, onion, ginger, horseradish, and hot peppers, but there are plenty of other herbs that can be thrown in for added kick.
Herbalist Rosemary Gladstar shares how to make Fire Cider, a cold and flu remedy that she formulated and shared with the world. This is a perfect remedy for someone who needs a fiery kick to his or her immune system. A blend of spicy and sweet flavors were combined to enhance your circulatory and digestive system. Will come in handy for those cold months when you’re prone to sinus infections, or when you feel cold coming on.
HOMEMADE FIRE CIDER RECIPE
- 1/2 cup fresh grated organic ginger root
- 1/2 cup fresh grated organic horseradish root
- 1 medium organic onion, chopped
- 10 cloves of organic garlic, crushed or chopped
- 2 organic jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Zest and juice from 1 organic lemon
- 2 Tbsp. of dried rosemary leaves
- 1 Tbsp. organic turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. organic cayenne powder
- organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of raw local honey, or to taste
- Prepare your roots, fruits, and herbs and place them in a quart-sized glass jar. If you’ve never grated fresh horseradish, be prepared for a powerful sinus-opening experience!
- Pour the apple cider vinegar in the jar until all of the ingredients are covered and the vinegar reaches the jar’s top.
- Use a piece of natural parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching the metal, or a plastic lid if you have one. Shake well.
- Store in a dark, cool place for a month and remember to shake daily.
- After one month, use cheesecloth to strain out the pulp, pouring the vinegar into a clean jar. Be sure to squeeze as much of the liquidy goodness as you can from the pulp while straining.
- Next comes the honey. Add and stir until incorporated.
- Taste your cider and add more honey until you reach the desired sweetness.
Herbal Ingredient Variations
These organic herbs and spices would make a wonderful addition to your Fire Cider creations. Thyme, Horseradish Root Powder, Rosehips, Star Anise, Schisandra Berries, Astragalus, Parsley , Burdock, Oregano, Peppercorns, Beet Root Powder, Habanero Powder, Bird’s Eye Chili Powder, Whole Chili Peppers, Orange, Grapefruit, Lime peels/or juice.
Special thanks to Rosemary for sharing amazing recipes like this with the herbal community for all to enjoy.