Just in time for you to use all the extra zucchini from the garden that you have no idea what to do with!
With all the talk about the dangers of coconut oil (from an organization that is supported by companies that profit from the consumption of grain oils aka vegetable oil) I share with you our summer abundance recipe..lemon raspberry zucchini bars.
You can use eggs (we have a chicken farm and a plethora of those..) but to my surprise, the vegan version was BETTER and the little chia seeds reminded me almost of a poppyseed muffin.
Lemon Raspberry Zucchini Bars
Makes 28 servings
- 3 tablespoons chia seed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all purpose flour (we use a gluten free 1 to 1 blend)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar (we use coconut palm 1/2 cup, and 1/4 cup local honey)
- ½ cup natural applesauce
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini
- ¼ cup raspberries (picked fresh from our local pesticide free u-pick farm)
1. Mix the chia seeds and water together in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder and soda, salt. Set aside.
2. Mix thoroughly together the sugar, applesauce, coconut oil, lemon juice and zest. Add the zucchini.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet and fold in raspberries. Pour into a greased (with coconut oil) 9×13 inch pan and bake on 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.
We also use mini muffin tins to make quick BITES for summer snacks.