Monsanto Knew the Toxicity of Roundup. Sign the Petitions to Eliminate Glyphosate.
A jury found unanimously that Monsanto’s glyphosate-based Roundup weed killer caused Mr. Johnson to develop NHL, and that Monsanto failed to warn of this severe health hazard. Importantly, the jury also found that Monsanto acted with malice, oppression or fraud and should be punished for its conduct.
Monsanto Co. continues to refuse to warn consumers of the dangers of its multi-billion-dollar product Roundup despite the world’s foremost authority on cancer—the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)—listing glyphosate as a probable carcinogen in 2015.
For years Monsanto has claimed that there is no evidence that Roundup causes cancer, yet a mountain of testimony and documents was admitted during the trial. Johnson’s attorneys proved through testimony from Monsanto’s witnesses that company employees “ghostwrote” scientific articles and paid outside scientists to publish the articles in their name.
Glyphosate + Surfactants = Cell Penetration and Damage, Including Cancerous Tumor Growth
Internal documents revealed that a scientific adviser hired by Monsanto told the company that past testing for Roundup was insufficient because glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, was tested in isolation without the other chemical ingredients that make up the Roundup formulation. It’s not just glyphosate that makes Roundup so toxic.
“Many of these confidential Monsanto documents were unsealed for the first time,” co-lead counsel David Dickens said. “They show that Monsanto knew that its testing was insufficient and that there was a synergistic effect when glyphosate is combined with surfactants which help the glyphosate penetrate both plant and animal cell walls.”
More Than 4,000 Lawsuits Are Pending
Lee Johnson is one of more than 4,000 people from across the country to file suit against Monsanto in state and federal courts based on allegations linking Roundup to cancer.The next Roundup cancer trial against Monsanto is also a state case and is scheduled to occur in October in St. Louis, Missouri.
Now that the judge in the federal multi-district litigation (based in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Francisco), has accepted several of the plaintiffs’ experts to testify, trial dates for the federal bellwether cases should be announced in the next couple of months.
Quick Stats on Glyphosate
- Glyphosate has contaminated our planet, and is now found in our children’s urine, mother’s milk, our bloodstreams, and our food and water.
- In 2015 the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization found that glyphosate “is a probable human carcinogen”.
- In July of 2017 the California State Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) added glyphosate to its prop 65 list of known carcinogens.
- In October of 2017, after over 1 million Europeans requested a ban, 72% of the Members of the European Parliament voted to BAN glyphosate and EU Member states have refused to renew the license.
- Four countries have banned glyphosate: Malta, Sri Lanka, The Netherlands, and Argentina.
- Many U.S. school districts and cities have already discontinued the use of glyphosate.
Do you want to take ACTION and help create healthy families and communities? Sign these three petitions initiated by separate organizations that are fighting for the same mission to make our communities safer.
-> Learn More about the Trial: https://www.organicconsumers.org/blog/monsanto-roundup-trial-verdict
-> WATCH the video of statements by Dewayne Johnson and his lawyers: https://www.facebook.com/abc7news/videos/10157005064847079/
-> Learn More About Monsanto’s cover-up: https://www.organicconsumers.org/blog/time-ban-monsantos-roundup-weedkiller-will-epa-act